"The Emperor" Australasian Championship was organised by NZRA on 11-12 February near Waikaia, on New Zealand's south island. There were 92 controls set on a 300 sq km mixture of open hills and farmland flats with pockets of native vegetation and scrub, on the most detailed map produced for a New Zealand rogaine. The weather was fine with cloud at night obscuring the full moon, and fortunately expected rain held off until the next day.
Clear winners were Greig Hamilton and Chris Forne from New Zealand, with Australians David Baldwin, Julie Quinn and Gill Fowler second, then New Zealand's Phil Wood and Ange West in third place.
Winners of the open categories were:
- Greig Hamilton, Chris Forne (NZL) - 1st Mens Open
- Tamsin Barnes (AUS), Janet Musker (NZL) - 1st Womens Open (also 1st Womens Veteran)
- David Baldwin, Julie Quinn, Gill Fowler (AUS) - 1st Mixed Open
Other Australian category placegetters:
- Coleen Mock, Colin Mock - 1st Mixed Ultra Veteran, 3rd Mixed Super Veteran
- Don Baker, Vic Sedunary - 1st Mens Ultra Veteran
- Mike Hotchkis, Walter Kelemen - 2nd Mens Super Veteran
- Marina Honey, Stephen Honey - 2nd Mixed Super Veteran
- Sue Clarke, Nihal Danis - 2nd Womens Super Veteran
- Andrew Baker, Kevin Humphrey - 3rd Mens Veteran
- Andrew Smith, Toni Bachvarova - 3rd Mixed Veteran
The results are now available on the NZRA website.